June 24 – 26, 2022
Friday, June 24, 5:30pm | Saturday, June 25, 10am-6pm | Sunday, June 26, 10am-4pm
Visitors flock to Maine from around the globe to enjoy our world class seafood, and Maine oysters are no exception. Celebrate this tasty and environmentally critical bivalve with us in Freeport on June 24 – 26, 2022 when we launch this celebration of all Maine oysters featuring sea farmers representing fisheries from Ogunquit to Corea.
There are now more than 150 oyster farms dotting Maine’s 3,500 mile long coastline. Oysters grow slowly in Maine’s cold waters, and that gives them more time to soak up the flavors in their home waters. Differences in the food they eat as well as the temperature and salinity of the water produce a wide variety of flavor characteristics from farm to farm. The Maine Oyster Festival will celebrate oysters and the people who farm them from up and down the entire Maine coast!
What to expect:
- Dozens of sea farms & mobile shuckers will be shucking and serving oysters grown up and down the entire Maine Coastline. Be sure to try our signature mignonettes!
- Try a flight of four signature wood fired oysters with compound butters curated by sustainable seafood expert, chef & author Barton Seaver
- A group of industry experts will be blind tasting oysters from all participating sea farms and awarding our Oyster of the Year Award.
- Oyster dishes will be on the menu in Freeport restaurants and festival food trucks.
- Regional oyster farm tours.
- Shucking demonstrations & hands-on lessons.
- Shucking competitions, open to the public as well as professionals.
- Learn more about the science of oyster farming from the Maine Aquaculture Association and Maine Sea Grant.
- Shop with makers of Maine-made products used in serving or preparing oysters as well as products made from oyster shells, or other industry by-products.
- A Kelp Korner highlighting kelp, one of Maine’s other sustainably harvested seafood products.
- Educational activities hosted by Maine non-profits dedicated to keep Maine water’s safe & clean.
- Hands-on crafts for kids.
- Two evening events featuring live music, local craft beer & beverages and oysters! Mix and mingle with sea farmers at the Kick-Off Party on Friday evening or keep the good times rolling at the Festival After Hours on Saturday night.
Printed brochures will be available when you arrive to the Festival.
Other Maine Oyster Events
And you’ll always find fun oyster adventures on the Maine Oyster Trail!
Where to Stay
Freeport is perfectly situated where Greater Portland meets the Midcoast making us the perfect place to be your homebase for a long weekend or a full week in Maine! Guests may choose from one of our upscale inns, national brand hotels, or historic bed & breakfasts. Interested in a more rustic experience? Pop up your tent, park your RV or rent a cabin at one of our stunning campgrounds among the pines, on the bay or at the foot of a mountain.
Made Possible With Support From
Our Program Partners
Special thanks to Thomas Henninger of Madeleine Point Oyster Farms and the other members of the Maine Family Seafarm Cooperative for the use of their photography on this site and in other The Maine Oyster Festival marketing materials.